Review and approval by the Development Review Board is required for any subdivision of land (including; Planned Residential Developments (PRD) and Planned Unit Developments (PUD)). Use the Application to Development Review Board for all subdivision (including PRD and PUD) applications (must be accompanied by Application for Zoning Permit). A summary of the Development Review Board subdivision review process is provided below. For more information regarding the process of subdivision review and approval by the Development Review Board, please refer to Article 7 of the Land use and Development Regulations. See in particular Table 7.1 – Subdivision Review at a Glance. Table 7.2 – Subdivision Application Requirements – of the Land Use and Development Regulations sets forth the specific requirements for subdivision applications. Article 8 sets forth the standards for traditional subdivisions that the Development Review Board will apply and Article 9 sets forth standards for Planned Residential and Planned Unit Developments.
Development Review Board Subdivision Review Process Summary
- Applicant discusses project with Town Staff (Planning Director or Administrative Assistant). Issues including whether the subdivision will be considered a Minor or Major Subdivision will be discussed. If the subdivision is a Major Subdivision, a two step process is required – review and approval by the DRB (Development Review Board) of a preliminary subdivision plan followed by review and approval by the DRB of a final subdivision plan. Minor Subdivisions only require final plan approval.
- Applicant completes Application for Zoning Permit and Application to Development Review Board and determines permit fees due (see Permit Fee Schedule).
- Applicant has Subdivision Plan (Sketch Plan, Preliminary Plan and/or Final Plan) and all supporting documentation (including all required Town and State approvals) prepared by a Vermont Licensed Land Surveyor in accordance with the Subdivision Application Requirements.
- Applicant submits Application for Building and Zoning Permit, Application to Development Review Board, permit fees and twelve (12) copies of the Subdivision Plan and all supporting documentation to Permitting Department.
- Town Staff reviews application and if application is deemed complete, Town Staff schedules public hearing(s) before the Development Review Board, has legal notice of the public hearing(s) published in the Bennington Banner, and notifies the applicant of the public hearing(s). If application is deemed incomplete applicant is notified of additional information that is required.
- Applicant notifies abutting property owners of public hearing(s). (Town staff will provide applicant with a form notice.)
- Applicant (or his representative) attends public hearing(s) to present subdivision application.
- Development Review Board deliberates and issues written decision (approval or denial)
- Town Staff notifies applicant of Development Review Board Decision.
- If the Final Subdivision Plan is approved, applicant must record the subdivision plan in the Town Land Records within 90 days.
- Upon completion of the subdivision, applicant requests Certificate of Subdivision Compliance from Permitting Department.
- If project is completed in accordance with approved Final Subdivision Plan, Permitting Department issues Certificate of Subdivision Compliance.
Table 7.1 – Subdivision Review at a Glance (link to .pdf of Table 7.1)
Table 7.2 – Subdivision Application Requirements (link to .pdf of Table 7.2)
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS OFFERED AS A GENERAL GUIDE TO LAND USE PERMITTING IN BENNINGTON. PLEASE CALL THE BENNINGTON PERMITTING DEPARTMENT AT 802-442-1037 REGARDING SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND ISSUES REGARDING BENNINGTON LAND USE PERMITS.
ALL APPLICANTS FOR A PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL PROJECTS SHOULD CONTACT THE TOWN’S PLANNING DIRECTOR AND BUILDING INSPECTOR FOR AN INFORMAL REVIEW OF THE PROJECT BEFORE ANY PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED TO THE TOWN.